Horns against the sky, beautiful, imposing . . .
That silver animal growing closer and closer until it fills the screen . . .
The figure represents ecstasy . . .
“Masks. We need to make more masks.”
Dark Factory is Kathe Koja’s new novel, upcoming in May 2022 from Meerkat Press.
Dark Factory is a dance club: three floors of DJs, drinks, dancing, and state of the art customizable reality, anything and everything you see and hear and feel. Ari Regon is the club’s wild card floor manager, Max Caspar is a stubborn DIY artist, and Marfa Carpenter is a journalist on the trail of a very big story.
Dark Factory is a new experience in immersive storytelling. The story has already started: you can read and interact with posts from Ari, Max, Marfa (and Kathe Koja), you can follow Dark Factory on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook.
And now, you can participate in the Dark Factory Mask Contest! In the world of Dark Factory, the horned mask means the party is ON. Kathe Koja invites you to create your own one-of-a-kind mask!
Felix the DJ emerges from behind the mirrored door, Felix masked now, the horned man, with Ari beside him, dancing, pink hat dangling, sweat springing, while that pied piper beat climbs and echoes through the building, to gather other dancers until they finally reach the roof, the door wedged wide and now everyone is dancing, dancing, standing still and dancing in the caterwaul and shout, someone is singing, someone else joins in, a chorus watched by Max with Marfa at his side, led by Felix in soundbox ecstasy, Felix whose beats are immaculate, calling out, calling to Ari and the dancers and the stars “Again, again, again, again—”—From Dark Factory by Kathe Koja
- All entries will be displayed in a digital gallery at Darkfactory.club
- The top ten masks will be featured at the Dark Factory live streamed launch party in May 2022
- 1st Prize winner will receive: a $50.00 gift card for Dark Factory merch plus a one of a kind piece of Dark Factory wearable Jewelry by Sofia Ajram (https://sofiazakia.com/)
- 2nd and 3rd Prize winners will receive: a $25 gift card for Dark Factory merch.
- Anyone over 18 can participate, all skill levels are welcome!
- Style guidelines:
- The mask should have horns, but this is completely open to your interpretation.
- The style can be whatever you desire, inspired by feelings of play, pleasure, and the freedom to go wild! For more visual inspiration, check out DarkFactory.club as a mood board.
- Any materials can be used in your design: paper, cardboard, cloth, glitter, ribbons, sticks, bones, moss, flowers, food, metal, aluminum foil … whatever works for you!
- Want to use the Dark Factory papercraft-style horned mask as the base for your design? Fill out the form below and we’ll send you one. Using the template is not required for the contest.
- The mask itself must be a real, physical mask. Your submission will be 2D photos of your mask, preferably up to 3 showing it from different angles.
Read on for the official rules of the contest. Use the form below to request a Dark Factory mask template, or for any contest questions.
DARK FACTORY MASK CONTEST – OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
1. CONTEST DESCRIPTION: DARK FACTORY MASK CONTEST begins on Oct 11, 2021 12:00 AM (ET) and ends on February 28, 2022 at 11:59 PM (ET) (the \”Contest Period\”).
The sponsor of this Contest is MEERKAT PRESS (“Sponsor”). By participating in the Contest, each Entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of Entries and the overall administration of the Contest. Entrants should look solely to Sponsor with any questions, comments or problems related to the Contest. Sponsor may be reached by email at INFO@MEERKATPRESS.COM during the Contest Period.
2. CONTEST RULES:
a) Up to three pictures of the mask must be submitted as high resolution JPEG or PNG files by January 31, 2022 at 11:59 pm (ET) via the contest form. Late submissions will not be accepted or considered.
b) Masks must be actual physical creations, not just a drawing or painting of a mask. They can be made of any materials and must be inspired by DARK FACTORY by Kathe Koja.
c) The sponsor MEERKAT PRESS and author KATHE KOJA may post submissions on their respective social media feeds (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest) and reserve the right to do so without first notifying the artist. All artists will be credited and all posts tagged with #DarkFactoryMaskContest. Contestants should include their social media handles in their submission if they wish to be tagged. Contestants are also encouraged to use the hashtag # #DarkFactoryMaskContest if they post on their own social media.
d) Artists will retain copyright of their work. MEERKAT PRESS and Kathe Koja will have the right to display submissions on their respective websites and social media in perpetuity.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to anyone who is at least 18 years of age (the \”Entrant\”). Sponsor, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, sales representatives, advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective officers, directors and employees (the \”Promotion Entities\”), are ineligible to enter the Contest or win a prize. Household Members and Immediate Family Members of such individuals are also not eligible to enter or win. “Household Members” shall mean those people who share the same residence at least three months a year. “Immediate Family Members” shall mean parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited or restricted by law
One (1) Grand Prize Winner will each receive a $50 Giftcard for the DarkFactory.club store, plus a one of a kind piece of Dark Factory wearable Jewelry by Sofia Ajram ( 1st Prize winnner will receive: a $50.00 gift card for Dark Factory merch plus a one of a kind piece of Dark Factory wearable Jewelry by Sofia Ajram (https://sofiazakia.com/) = Value $200
Two (2) Second Place Prize Winners will each receive a $25 Giftcard for the DarkFactory.club store = Value $25
Top Ten (10) will be will be featured at the Dark Factory live streamed launch party in May 2022
All entries will be displayed in a digital gallery at Darkfactory.club
Gift cards and gift certificates are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuer. Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or substituted by winner. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value if a prize described in these Official Rules is unavailable or cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, for any reason. The ARV of the prize represents Sponsor’s good faith determination. That determination is final and binding and cannot be appealed. If the actual value of the prize turns out to be less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
All federal, state and/or local taxes, fees, and surcharges are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in forfeiture of the prize.
5. Enter the Contest during the Contest Period which begins on October 11, 2021 12:00 AM Eastern and ends on February 28, 2022 at 12:00 AM Eastern
Automated or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. Internet entry must be made by the Entrant. Any attempt by Entrant to obtain more than the stated number of Entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations, logins or any other methods, including, but not limited to, commercial contest/sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering services, will void Entrant’s Entries and that Entrant may be disqualified. Final eligibility for the award of any prize is subject to eligibility verification as set forth below. All Entries must be posted by the end of the Contest Period in order to participate. Sponsor’s database clock will be the official timekeeper for this Sweepstakes.
6. JUDGING / SELECTION OF WINNERS: The Contest will be judged by the author, Kathe Koja and winners selected from among all eligible Entries received throughout the Contest Period. The judging will be completed within 7 days after the Contest Period. Judges decisions are final.
7. WINNER NOTIFICATION & ANNOUNCEMENT: Winners will be announced on the MEERKAT PRESS website and notified by email at the email address provided in the Entry Information by March 31, 2022. Winners must accept a prize by email as directed by Sponsor within 15 days of notification. Sponsor is not responsible for any delay or failure to receive notification for any reason, including inactive email account(s), technical difficulties associated therewith, or Winner’s failure to adequately monitor any email account.
Any winner notification not responded to or returned as undeliverable may result in prize forfeiture. The Winners may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, and a Publicity Release (collectively \”the Prize Claim Documents\”). No substitution or transfer of a prize is permitted except by Sponsor.